15 October 2008

So Much For Farm Help

Okay, I think we're overdue for a non-Rocket post on this blog! But somehow, I just can't think of anything that has happened in the last 3 weeks that doesn't involve him in some way. I guess that's what people mean when they say that "your life changes."

While we were in Seattle, fall arrived in Trout Lake. Most of the trees in the orchard had already dropped their fruit - most disappointingly, the Italian plum trees were just ripening when we left and were pretty much finished when we returned. But by far the biggest disappointment was the garden.

Dead gardenWhen we left for Seattle that weekend, we were only supposed to be gone for about 3 days. So I watered the garden a day or two before we left and planned to water it again when we returned. But of course, Rocket arrived early and changed those plans. If we had been able to return home sometime early that following week to water it, the garden would have been fine. But of course, Rocket had jaundice which kept us in Seattle for an additional week. We even might have been able to explain to someone the somewhat lengthy instructions for turning on the irrigation system, but by the time we realized that we weren't going to make it home as early as we had liked, it was too late.

I almost couldn't look at the result: wire cages full of tomatoes in various shades of red, just rotting on crispy brown vines; clusters of young squash under piles of shriveled leaves. But I keep reminding myself - it is much easier to buy tomatoes and squash than it is to buy a baby.

The main reason that we decided to have kids was so that we would have some additional farm help.1 So far, that plan isn't working out so well.

- Mike (& Corinne & Anders)

1 Okay, maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain here - not that i was ever a super green thumb, but I did pretty well with my house plants. After Lily arrived I'm afraid to report that I have significantly fewer plants. I guess it's the refocusing of the "care-taker" energy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same disappointing result with our peas and green beans in July. We left when they were almost ready to pick, and though we had friends come water, the snap peas were completely over-done after our lovely July vacation.
    Next year we should plan vacation around a different garden event, perhaps planting then departing for two weeks, so we can come home to little sprigs and a lot of weeding?
    But again, spending time with friends and family is worth having to buy a few more items of produce.

    ReplyDelete