04 April 2010

Lucky Day!

We have what should have been a very nice blender, but it just doesn't work very well, particularly for smoothies. Reading blender reviews, it turns out that most home blenders don't work well. If you look at what the professionals are using, it is almost universally a Vita-Mix, a $400-$600 blender depending on the exact model. Mike has had one on his wishlist for quite a while. Over the last month, I had even contemplated buying one for his birthday and chipping in some recent bonus money... but I just couldn't do it. $500 for a blender?? There are so many other things we could do with $500.

I visit Anders at daycare every day during lunch. Usually I just walk directly back to work. But for some reason, yesterday I made the rare choice to walk back through downtown (so I could buy myself jelly beans). The White Salmon downtown is only about 3 blocks long with only about half of the businesses populated. One of these businesses was having a retirement sale and had set a random collection of goods out on the sidewalk, and there among the assortment was a Vita-Mix! It wasn't exactly the model Mike had been eye-ing; Mike wanted a higher end version which has variable speed control. This one was the $400 model with only two fixed speeds. But after a quick consultation with Mike we decided it was close enough. We are now the proud owners of a used Vita-Mix and out only $85! What luck!

The business owner actually had the exact model (speed control) we wanted inside. I inquired about that one, but she was only downsizing her business and was still planning to do some smoothies. So I offered that if she ever wanted to get rid of that one, she should let us know. She replied, "Oh no, that one will go home with me!"

We celebrated our Vita-Mix acquisition with berry buttermilk smoothies.









- Corinne, Mike, and Anders Rocket

No comments:

Post a Comment